Saturday, March 29, 2008

Boo Hiss Awards part two

First to buck tradition, I am going to announce good news first. We just returned from our ski week up in Tahoe. Great weather. Great skiing. The good news is I saw LOTS of little girls, young girls and teenage girls. They were out skiing, smiling, sledding, snowboarding and tubing. They were having fun with themselves, with their brothers, with their fathers and their mothers. It was just awesome! I also took my kids window shopping (dear daughter said we didn't need any new windows) and saw several moms (and dads) with their little boys and girls, out shopping. Not for toy guns or tiaras. Just toodling around looking at art, mad-libs, candy-making, candles, wood bears and fun stuff. I was loving the gender mixed activites abound. Maybe it is the mountain air!


But alas, I came down in elevation. Just when I think my undies are in a bunch for nothing, my wonderful friend-at-blog Susan sent me this article. The article reviews a new ATROCIOUS website. A website for girls ages 9-16 where they win points for making their onscreen character the biggest bimbo of the bunch. Some AdamHenry is making millions off this crap. Promoting plastic surgery and eating disorders for girls.

Big sigh..... Do parents have any control over their children's choices on the internet? Do they give up or just don't care? This is scaring me.


OK, as some of you know, I emailed the management at Kmart. My email was basically a copy of my post Boo Hiss Awards. I was hoping they would either take me seriously or at least acknowledge that maybe there is a problem with the messages they are pimping, excuse me, marketing to young girls. Instead I got a form letter response. In part it says:


Thank you for your recent e-mail correspondence regarding your experience. Please be assured that we understand your frustration, and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced. We appreciate your business, and value you as a Kmarts customer. We certainly hope you will continue to make Kmart your choice for quality and value. Again, we thank you for taking the time to contact our office with your concern. Look for great bargains throughout the store and find Kmart exclusive brands like Martha Stewart Everyday, Thalia Sodi, Joe Boxer, Route 66 and Jaclyn Smith.


"Quality and value"? What a joke. I am just going to have to try harder. If anyone knows how to contact real people in Kmart, and not a customer-no-service person, please let me know.


And check out my new girls design. I think it rocks!



1 comment:

Susan said...

Love the new design, Margerie!

Boo, hiss to KMart for sending you a form email!